Learning the Good News of Jesus Coming Again

The book of Revelation concludes with the words, “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus” (Rev. 22:20b).  I believe many people are worried, if not outright scared to death by those words. Why? Because they believe, or are made to believe, when Jesus comes again, they might not be “good enough” for God. They fear being cast into the eternal burning fires of hell.
I believe, that is an incorrect view of Jesus, of God. Think about all Jesus did throughout His ministry. He went to, welcomed, accepted, healed, fed, forgave and loved all people. When Jesus ascended to heaven after His resurrection, the angels who appeared to His disciples said, “Why do you stand looking up toward heaven? Jesus will come in the same way as you saw Him go into heaven (Acts 1:11). When Jesus first came in love, for all, why would He change when He comes again? I do not believe He will.
            Why do people believe Jesus will change? Why do they believe they are not “good enough” and fear Jesus’ coming? Because of people trying to scare them, to have power and control over them, to serve their purpose, and not God’s purpose of love. I know, this might be, or is, a very contrary message about God, Jesus, and faith. I know, I do not have all the answers about God and Jesus’ Second Advent. I also know, in not knowing everything, especially about God, God helps me to continue to learn more about God.        
As I am open to learning more about God, Jesus, and the faith God gives us, what if, my, and our, understanding of Jesus’ “second coming” will be a time of complete love and forgiveness as Jesus demonstrated throughout His life. What if we learned to believe that? What if we started living that all-inclusive love, now, as we pray in Jesus’ prayer, “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven?”
Hmm, if Jesus lived love, for all, and heaven is a place of complete love, for all, what could our world look like “if” we “learned” to live God’s unconditional, all-inclusive love?

As always, I welcome your thoughts, insights, and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment